Why doesn't BGP...

Neil J. McRae neil at easynet.net
Sat Nov 9 14:45:58 UTC 1996

On Fri, 8 Nov 1996 19:20:40 -0800 (PST)
 Ed Morin <edm at halcyon.com> alleged:

> Well, sure, but why should I _have_ to?  I thought we, in part, pay
> the big bucks for routers that are supposed to figure some of this
> stuff out on their own without having to "band-aid" things with AS
> path manipulations, etc.

Try reading the manual. How is the router supposed to know what
you want to do. BGP4 knows nothing of link speeds, and I hope
it never does, the instabilities it could cause are frightening.

I don't think the people who came up with BGP4 ever expected to
see what some people do with their router configs.

Regards,
Neil.
--
Neil J. McRae. Alive and Kicking.          E A S Y N E T  G R O U P  P L C
neil at EASYNET.NET        NetBSD/sparc: 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)