Cisco for dummies?

JDF lart at cais.net
Fri Nov 8 20:48:46 UTC 1996

On Fri, 8 Nov 1996, Deepak Jain wrote:

> Has anyone though of how much money some publisher could make with a
> Cisco for Dummies<tm> book? Say it runs $49.95 and is 2000 pages. It has
> every obscure use of every command in say the IP IOS or Netflow Switching
> or everything Cisco makes [depending on size here] It strikes me that
> the UniversCD and the bound/hard copy manuals [including the ones from
> the classes] are not all that useful unless you remember the approximate
> syntax of the command or that it has been expanded in the next version of
> IOS.

	Cisco has some things like that already, in the training guides
for their Introduction to Cisco Router Configuration (ICRC) and Advanced
Cisco Router Configuration (ACRC) courses, and IIRC all the text is also
on their web site someplace.
	Truth is, it's not all that useful without the commentary and
experience of the instructor, especially since the course gets into all
kinds of weird stuff (wanna bridge xns through a tunnel over tcp/ip?), and
barely touches on the type of BGP stuff talked about on this list.
	However, there're a lot of good examples & FAQs and such on
Cisco's web page if you search around long enough.

	This is not to say that I don't think such a book would be useful,
but I'd really, REALLY hate to see "Cisco for Dummies" 'cause it doesn't
take much for an unclueful person with a Cisco in the right place to
really screw things up for the rest of us.

--
J.D. Falk                                              <lart at cais.net>
Network Operations Center                               <noc at cais.net>