MAE-West is up again (Sun's & Alphas)

Steve Goldstein sgoldste at nsf.gov
Sun May 26 16:20:23 UTC 1996

Tim,

NSF never paid any of Gordon's expenses for anything, to my knowledge at
least.  He made an important contribution to the NATO meeting in Moscow in
1994 by delivering a well-thought-out and constructive charge to the
audience about how a bit more cooperation on everybody's part could improve
Internet service for large numbers of Russians.  I, as co-chair of the
event, was quite satisfied that I had spent NATO's money wisely by inviting
him to participate.  We even fed him (along with the other participants) on
NATO's tab.  Even with all that, it was still a good deal for NATO (he
drank much less vodka than most, BTW...).

At 2:18 AM 5/26/96, Gordon Cook wrote:
>tim asks who is paying for my trip to Russia.  How about me for
>incidentals and a total of $13.50 for tax on a delta frequent flyer
>ticket?  NSF has
>paid for NONE of my trips.  In Sept october 1994 NATO paid for a $620
>airplane ticket and I paid $120 to extend it and for all other expenses.
>
>On Sat, 25 May 1996, Tim Bass wrote:
>>
>> Side note to Gordon Cook based on his contribution earlier:
>>
>> Gordon, just a little barb to you, please do not take it personally,
>> but.. "is your current trip to Russia also funded by the NSF similar to
>> your previous trip"? ( inquiring minds want to know ;-)
>>
>> Whoops! There I go again, standing in the corner, just losing my
>> religion.... Oh well, I said too much, I haven't said enought....

Go stand in the corner, Tim!

--Steve G.

Steve Goldstein, National Science Foundation
         +1(703)306-1949  Ext. 1119
 "Let's not procrastinate until next week!"