mae-west route servers are both down hard

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Fri May 24 23:58:38 UTC 1996

On Fri, 24 May 1996, Paul A Vixie wrote:

> >The route server rs2.mae-west.ra.net has crashed with the same symptoms as
> >rs1.mae-west.

Hmmm....

> I have two heavily overconfigured Alpha machines loaded in my van, with
> Stephen Stuart's port of RSd all ready for someone from Merit or ISI to
> load up their configuration tables.  I've got a driver and a technician.

This is nice as a fast fix, but it seems to me that identically configured
mission critical machines have crashed for the same reason (not
surprising) and now may be replaced by two other identically configured
machines. Might it not be wise to have two DIFFERENT machines doing this
job, maybe a SPARC and an Alpha?

> The use of the machines, and the time to deliver and install them, have
> all been donated by people who are suffering due to MAE-West's ills.  It
> is most extraordinary that we have let things suffer this long, and if
> the current plan is to wait until after the three day weekend, I
> consider that flatly unacceptable.
> E-mail me (paul at vix.com) or call me (1 415 747 0204) to arrange details.

Glad to see that people are willing to do what it takes to keep things
operating. Somehow I suspect that Bob Metcalfe's next InfoWorld column
will be gloating over the route server failures and fail to mention
Paul and the other people who put the effort in to deal with the problem.

Sort of like how people use to say Ethernet could never be any good
because of the packet collisions... ;-)

Michael Dillon                                   ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael at memra.com