Worldly Thoughts - Regionalizing Peering

Dave Siegel dsiegel at rtd.com
Fri May 24 02:58:08 UTC 1996

>   Drawback:  It is technically challenging to create an automate
>   system to regionalize and create appropriate filter lists.

I always did enjoy a challenge.

It's really pretty trivial up on the whiteboard.  My model includes BGP
confederations to define regions.  In the absence of enough IP Addresses to
divide your allocations by confederate AS, I am fairly sure the use of
communities could be used to hack the distribution of more specifics into
conforming the way you want.

This is all from memory.  I haven't revisted this model much since I
developed my first one late last year.  Maybe they're some new knobs which
make it even easier.

Dave

--
Dave Siegel		     Sr. Network Engineer, RTD Systems & Networking
(520)623-9663 x130	     Network Consultant -- Regional/National NSPs