topological closeness....

Gopi K Garge gopi at ece.iisc.ernet.in
Thu May 16 14:03:10 UTC 1996

Hello,

	IMHO, in the context of the AP region, I guess we are overlooking the
	user perspective - locally available "Internet" content. Barring
	.au, .sg, .kr, .hk (?), .jp and .tw, I do not see any major effort
	around to provide locally, content that is available in the US
	be it the GNU archive, the WU archive or one-of-those Beatles
	song and lyrics archive - result - good amount of traffic to the
	US. (The AP region has only 4 archie servers !) When one sees
	such traffic trends, why would an ISP even think in terms of
	investing in a link to a place other than the US - the cost
	permitting ?

	I have been attempting to convince ERNET to invest in a link
	each to NL/GB and SG/JP since we have a significant amount of
	traffic to these places. I have even tried to present the idea
	that IN is strategically placed in the context of linking the
	Southern AP region to Europe/US which could mean good gatewaying
	business - NO GO ! Each time we have a meeting, there's a raging
	war on this point, but, bring out the top 25 hosts contacted and
	the related traffic percentages and the consensus is to add more
	bandwidth on the link to the US !

	If on the one hand the tariffs and the telecom policies do not
	provide for a good intra-AP connectivity, there is this "content
	availability" that's adding to the "US-centricity" (not that
	most of the Internet tools aren't ... ;-) ). So ... could we
	do anything at all ?

	It may not be possible to persuade governments to change their
	policies as fast as we would like them to change.

	My gut feel is that the tariffs permitting, making content available
	locally will hold the key to bandwidth investments and the choice
	of the upstream ISP.

--Gopi Garge

Enzo Michelangeli sez: