topological closeness....

Geoff Huston gih at aarnet.edu.au
Tue May 14 00:09:44 UTC 1996

At 6:15 PM 13/5/96, Vadim Antonov wrote:
>Cacheing appears to be the only sane way to distribute
>load.  You always know where the closest cacheing server is.

not even this is the case - you can guess but that may not always
work!

If I could _enforce_ caching by traffic interception then
I could construct vaguely logical cache structures as an ISP.

But relying on users to configure their end systems with the
identity of the closest cache server using some ill defined
"network metric" is always going to be an erratic affair at best.

geoff