topological closeness....

Mike Trest trest at atmnet.net
Tue May 14 00:13:55 UTC 1996

Vadim Antonov wrote:
>Cacheing appears to be the only sane way to distribute
>load.  You always know where the closest cacheing server is.
>Now, there's a problem with coherency, but at least it
>can be done w/o magic.

Discovering the topology of a group of CACHE servers also needs some
clarification.  Typically, you only know your internal cache servers.  There
is a strong international focus on this topic.  However, I cannot see how
these can be of any "general public" value since a provider would construct
a cache to benefit internal customers.

My question remains, is this value to our customers and consequent reduction
in extrnal traffic sufficient to justify the effort?  The research says yes.
What about actual experience in a real network?

..mike..
Mike Trest,  ATMNET          Voice:  619 643-1805
5440 Morehouse Drive         Fax:    619 643-1901
San Diego, CA  92121         Pager:  619 960-9070