I-D (Re: Out of date contact information )

Curtis Villamizar curtis at ans.net
Fri May 10 17:42:44 UTC 1996

In message <199605081441.HAA10750 at elite.exodus.net>, Robert Bowman writes:

> > On Mon, 6 May 1996, Curtis Villamizar wrote:
> >
> > > At least with ANS "trouble" and "noc" are not synonymous.  NOC is lots
> > > of people involved in network operations and normal trouble reporting
> > > (can't get there from here reporting) need not bother the whole group.
> > > Trouble is the current NOC staff on duty and are supposed to respond
> > > immediately to mail in the trouble mailbox, usually openning a trouble
> > > ticket and diagnosing the problem, in doing so starting the 15 minute
> > > escallation timer for the oncall engineer.  They also in practice
> > > respond immediately to mail in the NOC mailbox, but then a lot of
> > > people not on duty have to delete the mail when they come on call
> > > which just makes more work.
> > >
> > > If other providers have the same conventions or agree that these
> > > conventions are usefull, then write them up however you like (more
> > > briefly than I have done would be nice).
> >
> > Perhaps someone could collect the NOC practices and contact points for the
> > major NSP's and write it up as an informational RFC.
>
> The problem with this, as I see it, is the updating factor.  By the time
> someone, whomever it may be, gets done getting the original information,
> half of the contact people will have changed.
>
> The idea of a reliable alias at each ISP/NSP is the best approach I think.
>
> Robert Bowman
> Sr. Hole Plugger
> Exodus Communications Inc.
> (408) 522-8473
> rob at exodus.net

I don't see the problem with this.  If mail is sent to trouble just
prior to a shift change the shift coming on inherits the open trouble
tickets and the oncall engineer gets the escallation if the status
isn't updated within 15 minutes from the TT going open.

Part of changing shifts is changing the mail aliases for real time
response.  I don't think there is an interim window where mail to
trouble or to the internal escallation gets dropped.

How is this anything but the most reliable contact information you can
get?  Not the same person each time, but real time response from the
organization around the clock.

Curtis