Inter-exchange media types

Jeremy Porter jerry at fc.net
Wed May 1 06:37:07 UTC 1996

aSince large amounts of traffic on the Net orginates from
modems which are typically plugged into terminal servers, which
virtually all have ethernet interfaces, very large
amounts of internet traffic have MTUs smaller than the
1500.

The locations I know of that have FDDI and state the need
for large MTUs are the large sites, that often have discount
T-3 service provided at by CO-REN or direct federal subsidies.

(Also dialup traffic would seem to be the eara of most rapid
growth).  I know there was some work done at the Sprint Nap
at one point doing traffic research, but don't know if it
included any type of size historgram.

I've had several people assert that FDDI frame sizes are in fact common, or that
at least DS-3 connected customers  desire this (who are these people again?)

I won't say it isn't true, because I don't have any real data, but
I don't see any evidence that anyone else has any idea either.
(With stuff plugged into the gigaswitch, I don't see a real easy
way to find out either, perhaps we could file a FIOA with the NSA :) )

I believe the folowing to be true:
1.  If there is little traffic over 1500 MTU, then
	switched, 100mbps, full duplex ethernet, will be cheaper
more scaleable, and perform better than switched full duplex FDDI.
	A.  Ethernet hardware is more common, thus greater economies of scale.
	B.  Cisco's have full duplex ethernet now.
	C.  The FEP card has TWO 100 mbps ports compared to one FDDI. (and
	costs less)
	D.  I feel certain that far more packets have been switched
in Cisco Cat 5000s, that Dec Gigaswitches, because real line
networks other than the Internet also use these.  Cisco might
could provide some sales numbers to compare with Dec if anyone
is interested.
	E.  If you have lots of 10mbps switched connections going
into the FDDI, you have a addtional overhead, of the translational
bridging.

I'd still like to see a number that shows I am wrong, even if
it is not very meaningful.

Jeremy Porter, Freeside Communications, Inc.      jerry at fc.net
PO BOX 80315 Austin, Tx 78708  |  1-800-968-8750  |  512-339-6094
http://www.fc.net