mae-west congestion

Peter Kaminski kaminski at nanospace.com
Fri Mar 22 01:26:08 UTC 1996

Matthew Kaufman writes about the Ames FDDI ring saturation:

>What I don't understand is why that has _stayed_ saturated... it seems to me
>that some of the big players would have rerouted their traffic by now to avoid
>subjecting it to this, which would also have the side effect of causing the
>problem to, at least for the short term, go away.

...or why MFS hasn't installed a Gigaswitch there, or whatever.  We're seeing
20% - 30% packet loss through AGIS to MCI and Sprintlink during the day, and
it's not fun.

>... and the major contributors to this
>traffic must be getting complaints from their own customers about how their
>packets are being routed via a lossy interchange point.

As a customer, I've complained to my contributor.  But I get the
impression that everyone thinks it's everybody else's problem.  Who's
really responsible?  And why did it have to get this bad?

Peter Kaminski, NanoSpace
kaminski at nanospace.com