Those 6 more As

Sanjay Dani sanjay at professionals.com
Thu Mar 14 00:12:58 UTC 1996

>58% whois 24.0.0.0
>@Home (NETBLK-ATHOME)           ATHOME                   24.0.0.0 - 24.3.255.0
>Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) (RESERVED) (NET-RESERVED-24) RESERVED-24
>                                                       24.4.0.0 - 24.255.255.0

On a related topic: I am guessing that this is the first allocation
given to @Home by the InterNIC. I wonder how @home influenced
the NIC's "slow start" procedure and acquired a /14 when the first
allocation for every other ISP is /22 through /19.

What works for a company that does not (yet) have a single customer ?
Marketing hype, an ambitious business plan, impressive VC lineup,
media hype or the presense of a highly respected routing expert ?
I would like to know how we can "buy" addresses.