My InfoWorld Column About NANOG

Matt Zimmerman mdz at netrail.net
Fri Jun 21 17:38:29 UTC 1996

On Fri, 21 Jun 1996, Bob Metcalfe wrote:

> Dear NANOG List,
>
> Thanks for your critiques of my NANOG meeting critique column in InfoWorld.
[...]
> Some of you guys/gals are very good at ad hominem attacks.  Flaming is
> alive and well on the Internet.  Tisk tisk.  But then I asked for it.
> Anyway, the attention is flattering.  Thank you.

Not quite...logic doesn't often lend itself to applications in politics.
Statements made about you in reference to the opinions you presented were
made as attempts to explain WHY you held these opinions.  Some of the
explanations make an awful lot of sense, IMHO, but they are only
conjecture.  If you'd like to enlighten us with regard to your reasoning
(without resorting to lofty goals of truth and a happier
{Internet|planet}), I, for one, would gladly listen.  I think it's far
more probable, however, that you'll rank my questions with the rest that
have been posed here...unworthy of a response.

// Matt Zimmerman       Chief of System Management           NetRail, Inc.
// mdz at netrail.net                                       sales at netrail.net
// (703) 524-4800 [voice]    (703) 524-4802 [data]    (703) 534-5033 [fax]