Canadian routes with BGP no-export communities

Sean Donelan SEAN at SDG.DRA.COM
Fri Jun 7 13:06:43 UTC 1996

>Since the prefix originator is the one who's routing
>is breaking, and if they can just register in the RADB to
>fix things, I don't really see a problem.

That statement isn't true in this case.  The more specific
networks are registered in the IRR, but what people do and
what's in the IRR aren't always related.

$ whois -h whois.ra.net 198.53.145

    RADB: AS1800, the Sprint 192/2 "default" route object
    ANS: AS2493, a route object for the specific network with
             a community ANSIGPONLY
         AS5765, a route object for the specific network
    MCI: AS2493, a route object for the specific network
         AS5765, a route object for the specific network

DRA has offices in Canada, so I try to keep up with what's
happening with the Canadian networks.  I must have missed
the announcement about IStar's plans.

Since the BGP no-export moves the affect/effect of a broken
announcement two AS's away, this might be a good time
to bring up the transitive nature of inter-provider NOC
communications.  What's the value of paying a backbone NOC
if the trouble tickets get closed with "not our problem,
call A->B->C's NOC yourself."