Sprint's route filters and Europe

Daniel Karrenberg Daniel.Karrenberg at ripe.net
Mon Jun 3 16:09:19 UTC 1996

  > "Alex.Bligh" <amb at xara.net> writes:
  >
  > Specifically RIPE are allocating /19s as their default allocation window
  > to local-IRs. They don't charge per block but they charge a yearly fee
  > for being a local-IR.

Nice to read something correct for a change. Thanks! ;-(

  > Sprint in its wisdom is filtering those in 195/8
  > (great theory, but a bit problematic in practice when it can't agree with
  > one of the larger registries on what size to filter)

I happen to agree and Sprint happens to have changed their policy to one
that happens to be compatible with the NCC's allocation policy in the
meantime.

  > with the result
  > there are now likely to be 50% more adverts (i.e. 2x/19 and an additional
  > /18 - /19 still necessary to get ANS to work as you can't put a /18
  > route object in the database).

Yes you can! If you have a /18 allocation you should announce it as such
and put a /18 route object in the database. Can you be more specific
on why it did not work for you?

Daniel