Sprint's route filters and Europe

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Mon Jun 3 14:44:21 UTC 1996

On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Daniel Karrenberg wrote:

>   > Specifically, RIPE
>   > is charging a fee to ISP's to get large blocks of IP addresses to allocate
>   > to their customers
>
> We charge *everyone* for registration services.  That is how it should
> be.  There is no reason why governments (read: taxpayers) should be
> footing the bill.

No quarrel with that, but the folks who pay those high fees kind of
expected that they were guaranteed to work on the global Internet. As you
pointed out, there really *IS* some co-operation between registries and
NSP's and the filtering isue really *IS* becoming more sane, i.e.
co-ordinated with registry activities. This is good news.

> We are working quite closely together indeed.
> But sometimes there is no rough consensus.

As long as the lines of communication are kept open rough consensus
usually finds a way to form itself even if not in the way people might
have first imagined it would form.

I started this thread because a European ISP could not find out from
either Sprint or his own upstream NSP or RIPE, why were these routes being
blocked and what could he do to unblock them. This points out to me that
there may still be some room for improvement in opening up avanues of
communication.

Thank you.

Michael Dillon                                   ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael at memra.com