NANOG spamming?

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Mon Jul 22 18:41:41 UTC 1996

On Mon, 22 Jul 1996, Cleveland K. Mickles wrote:

> These guys have nothing to do with MCI.  We've never heard
> of them.

Then perhaps this is a fraud scheme? Perhaps you should notify your local
FBI office especially if you are affiliated with MCI, MAE Dallas or some
other organization that is being used in the promotion. A few successful
prosecutions with media coverage ought to put a damper on SPAM.

>  * To: hank at ibm.net.il
>  * From: Internet Resources Group <F00103200027894@[206.245.228.50]>
>  * Subject: Remote Web Site Monitoring Service
>  * Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 17:35:45 -0500
>  *
>  * Greetings Webmaster!
>  *
>  * Internet Resources Group announces Red Alert Web Site Monitoring Service.
>  *
>  * Red Alert is an independent, off-site service that checks your essential
>  * URLs 4 times/hour, 24 x 7, and immediately pages or emails you if your
>  * site becomes inaccessible or returns incorrect data.
>  *
>  * Located in the MAE-Dallas building, Red Alert notifies you with intelligent
>  * alerts in cases of server crash, ISP outage or CGI failure.  And Red Alert
>  * keeps you in control with a real-time, Web based user interface.
>  *
>  * Red Alert monitors Chase Manhattan Bank, First USA, VISA, PepsiCo, large
>  * ISPs including Internet America and MCI, entrepreneurs such as AudioNet,
>  * and small businesses worldwide.
>  *
>  * Try it risk-free for 30 days. No credit card required. Immediate activation.
>  *
>  *                        http://www.redalert.com/red07/
>  *
>  * We look forward to serving you.
>  *
>  * Michael Martin, CEO            1.214.422.6364        1.214.422.6366 fax
>  * Internet Resources Group  --  821 Ashburn Place  --  Plano TX 75075   USA
>  *
>  * PS--If this message is a duplicate, you may be on our announcement list unde
>  * r
>  * two different addresses. If so, please reply with "remove" in the subject.

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049