sell shell accounts?

Avi Freedman freedman at netaxs.com
Fri Jul 19 22:45:50 UTC 1996

>I don't disagree with anything you have said. I don't think "too many hops"
>is an interesting criticism of an NSPs network. All I was saying is that it is
>possible, using switches, to reduce your hop count. I am not arguing the
>merits of doing so. Today, regardless of how fast switches can push cells, if
>your network is IP based you need to traverse routers. When the routers get
>overloaded you must either install more routers or faster routers.

Hmm, I would say:

Today, regardless of whether you use switches or routers or both, if
you're not making effective/correct internal-WAN load-balancing
decisions, you're screwed (assuming you have enough internal redundancy/
bandwidth to run your network even with 100% optimal routing decisions).

>Jim
>
>Ps. I don't take it personally Avi. I only argue with you because when I do
>I often learn something.

Good, I was going to send you private e-mail to make clear that I was
just on a religious ATM vs. Routed network thing - nothing personal.
I'll still come down to visit after ISPCON.

And I incuded nanog@ to get the opinion of others...

Avi