The root nameservers will be replaced August 1st

Avi Freedman freedman at netaxs.com
Thu Jul 18 00:24:28 UTC 1996

> You are correct in stating that servers are collocated at the exchange
> points.  However, their collocation and their associated application
> (route database server) are sanctioned by the NSF as part of NSF
> Solicitation 93-52.  It would be a grievous error to assume that any NAP
> operator would want to take on the responsibilities of securing a DNS
> root server, ensure its availability and take the associated hits.
>
> Steve

Again, speaking hypothetically, I wasn't talking about having the NAP
operator take responsibility.  But if someone wanted to get co-lo space
and pay the ethernet or fddi or atm or ... charge and maintain the machine,
what issues would there be?

Well, you obviously wouldn't let someone just put a web server on the
NAP IP space, since most everyone in the world has a route to that
block (usually a /24)...

So probably the "community" or the exchange point operator would have
to feel comfortable that the machine being put at the exchange point
was of a community service.

Avi