The root nameservers will be replaced August 1st

Tim Salo salo at msc.edu
Wed Jul 17 14:51:59 UTC 1996

> To: nanog at merit.edu
> Subject: Re: The root nameservers will be replaced August 1st
> Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 22:43:38 -0700
> From: Paul A Vixie <paul at vix.com>
>
> > If the information in the following message means what I think it means in
> > then somebody is colocating an entire new set of root nameservers at
> > exchange points within the USA if not internationally.
>
> Yes.  However, we are expecting exchange point operators to show some kind
> of common sense, which means asking the IANA before they sign onto such a
> project.
> 	[...]

I would like to think that, at lease in a general sense, the exchange
point operators will not ask their customers what type of traffic
the customer expects to transmit across an exchange point.  Granted,
connecting a host to an exchange point might warrant greater scrutiny
than connecting a network....

More interestingly, if someone wants to create an alternative set of
root servers, there is no particularly good reason for them to be located
at exchange points, (unless I am confused about what networks are all
about...).  True, servers at exchange points should exhibit greater
availability, but that is probably not the largest challenge faced by
alternative root servers.

-tjs