Ping flooding

Vadim Antonov avg at ncube.com
Fri Jul 12 04:05:13 UTC 1996

You need to have _very_ different path parameters to cause TCP
noticeable problems (and then if one of the paths is that bad
you're screwed up anyway).

Most of asymmetrical paths are quite "symmetrical" parameter-wise.

--vadim

Vern,

>  (ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/papers/routing.SIGCOMM.ps.Z).  I really wanted to
>  come up with some reason why asymmetric routing has serious implications
>  for TCP performance, but wasn't able to.  I guess this is a good thing,

Maybe in a perfect world, but given that all ISPs are not created equal, it
is usually the case that the two paths don't have the same latency and packet
loss characteristics.

Jeff