Ping flooding

Jerry Anderson jerry at gi.net
Fri Jul 12 15:43:34 UTC 1996

Jerry Anderson (jerry at gi.net) writes:
> [...]

When I wrote that I was thinking of multiple paths, rather than
asymmetric paths.  Compare the TCP performance of packet-based
load balancing to session-based load-balancing.

Vadim Antonov (avg at ncube.com) writes:
>>> 2) Don't Do Any Dynamic Routing Where Only One Path Exists.

Alan Hannan (alan at gi.net) writes:
>> Certainly I would not agree with this rule.

Nor would I.  It might make sense in a flat topology, but ours is
more hierarchical.  I find network management easier when we push
the details of tail-circuit connections out to the access
router.  The less complications in hub and core routers, the
better.

Paul Ferguson (pferguso at cisco.com) writes:
> 'Tis better to black-hole packets than to flap.

In core (EGP) routing, absolutely.  However, I haven't noticed
any ill effects of flapping in our internal network.

Jerry Anderson                                       jerry at gi.net
Principal Engineer                                 (402) 436-3030
Implementation & Consulting               http://www.gi.net/jerry
   Global Internet Network Services (formerly known as MIDnet)