Ping flooding

Alan Hannan alan at gi.net
Fri Jul 12 03:04:35 UTC 1996

.........  Paul Ferguson is rumored to have said:
]
] At 08:53 PM 7/11/96 -0500, Alan Hannan wrote:
]
] >  Vadim,
] >
] >] 2) Don't Do Any Dynamic Routing Where Only One Path Exists.
] >
] >  Certainly I would not agree with this rule.
] >
] >  If I have a tail router that is down, I do not want to send
] >  traffic to him, when he is not there to receive it.  Rather, I
] >  would want my intermediate router to reject it right off.
] >  Furthermore, I do not want to extend nondynamic notification in my
] >  network.
]
] Alan,
]
] 'Tis better to black-hole packets than to flap.

  Ahhhhh.... but I'd prefer to flap than have to track down evil
  legacy statics....  Dealing w/ flapping is much more
  intellectually stimulating :)

  I did neglect to mention that fascist null0 static-ing at my
  egress points helps to decrease the ramifications of any flapping.

  -alan