AGIS Route Flaps Interrupting its Peering?

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Fri Jul 5 14:34:20 UTC 1996

On Fri, 5 Jul 1996, Mark Kent wrote:

> An appropriate audience would have been the AGIS noc and the Digex
> noc.

Wrong! It's an operations issue and it SHOULD be on NANOG or a global
outages list if such should some day exist.

> >   Could you share your findings?  If there was a problem, I think
> >   we'd all prefer an explanation rather than a finger shaking for
> >   having interest.
>
> My key point is that nothing of interest happened.

There are hundreds of providers learning how to deal with multihoming and
peering. Anything like this is of interest because people need to know how
to recognize and solve problems to keep the global network running.

> This was a
> non-issue until the misinformation was blasted around the Internet
> technical universe.

Yep, no doubt about it. If you create the environment for misinformation
to spread then it WILL spread. However, you can fix this. If timely an
accurate outage information is available from everybody then
misinformation won't spread and where it does manage to propogate it will
merely be static.

Michael Dillon                                   ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael at memra.com