Internet access and telco usage patterns

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Fri Jul 5 00:36:07 UTC 1996

On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, Ed Morin wrote:

> GTE has been promoting this model for several years now.  They seem to
> be getting closer to something reasonable and I guess several ISP's are
> considering and/or doing it.

> > Has anybody looked at the practicality of installing modem pools in each
> > telco switch location to grab the dialup user's traffic at the IP level
> > and then route it to their ISP of choice for authentication and further
> > routing. In other words, an ISP wouldn't buy phone lines, modems and
> > terminal servers, they would buy IP access ports.

I now find that BC-Tel is offering this service in parts of British
Columbia. BC-Tel is half owned by GTE.

Michael Dillon                                   ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael at memra.com