hostname anecdotes

Tim Salo salo at msc.edu
Wed Jul 3 04:43:39 UTC 1996

> From: Alan Hannan <alan at gi.net>
> Subject: hostname anecdotes
> To: nanog at merit.edu
> Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 21:51:32 -0500 (CDT)
>
>   I'm not certain that the hostname anecdotes are terribly relevant
>   to the operation of north american networks.
>
>   Perhaps the discussion could be more well suited in big internet?

It might be useful for NANOG to discuss what involvement NANOG and ISPs
ought to have with these schemes.

o	Should, for example, NANOG agree that ISPs ought not provide
	secondary name service for this sort of activity?

o	Should NANOG agree that some sorts of domain name speculation are
	good grounds to terminate a customer?

o	Should NANOG decide that some other organization ought to
	address these issues?  (What ever happen to FARNET?)

	-	ISOC?
	-	IETF?
	-	The courts?
	-	The Internic?

o	Should NANOG stick to purely technical issues?

-tjs