Policy Statement on Address Space Allocations

Alan Barrett apb at iafrica.com
Wed Jan 31 09:08:57 UTC 1996

(Sending only to nanog, as per the recent coin-toss decision.)

> From: Andrew Partan <asp at uunet.uu.net>

> I suppose that if you find a set of companies that are all willing to
> be part of the consortium & just part of the consortium, then you could
> do addressing for this consortium as a whole.  Hey!  I think that we
> just invented provider (consortium) based addressing again.

One can also play tricks with tunnels, so that the folk with long prefixes
inside the consortium's aggregate can get to the consortium without
anything else needing to know a route for the long prefix.

The packets travel farther (from source to consortium, and then from
consortium to destination via the tunnel), but that's OK, because both the
destination and the consortium are paying.

--apb (Alan Barrett)