Draining the Swamp, A Straw Proposal

Justin W. Newton jnewton at hq.mai.net
Tue Jan 30 21:26:28 UTC 1996

On 29 Jan 96 at 20:56, Sean Shapira wrote:

> Introduction:
> -------------

<snip>

>   - Depend only on voluntary participation by Internet providers.

I hate to say this but...

I previously worked for a different place than I do now.  Part of the
reson I left was the complete "Whats in it for us" attitude there.  I
have a feeling that that attitude is becoming far too prevelent on
the internet.  Of late there seems to be a much higher quitient of
people running providers who are either slothful, not technically
competent enough to do their job, or both.  None of these people will
renumber unless they have to.  (I have a feeling renumbering at the
place that I used to work would take at least 2 weeks, given 1 months
notice for a handful of Class C's).  No matter what you do, people
like this are going to be affected by your change and are going to
resist it unless they are more or less  /forced/ to act.  If they get
someone with talent to work there they will /forbid/ him from doing
the right thing if it takes more than 30 minutes of his time or /not/
doing it has a real identifiable cost to them.  /These/ are some of
the people who have these small blocks, and these are the people we
have to reclaim some space from.  It may be politically bad, but if
we are going to do some space reclamation, lets do it whole bore.

Justin Newton            | jnewton at hq.mainet.com
Internet Administrator   # (703) 506-0505
MAI Network Services     |
Detroit MXP online now   #