on a lighter note...

Geert Jan de Groot GeertJan.deGroot at ripe.net
Tue Jan 30 09:05:54 UTC 1996

On Mon, 29 Jan 1996 12:18:33 -0800  "Kent W. England" wrote:
> I find that 10BaseT works pretty well for my portable needs.
> Can you pre-assign us some IP addresses?

For two RIPE-meetings now, I provided a DHCP-server for
the terminal room.  This allows people to get experience
with DHCP, which is one way to do easy renumbering when needed.

I'd like to suggest that future NANOG meetings might also want to
do this, making DHCP a 'must have' (just like PCMCIA ethernet cards
some time ago), getting some experience with DHCP and hopefully
the ability to phase out static IP assignment completely, for
terminal rooms at least.

We'll have to start somewhere, and this is as good as any place, right?

Geert Jan