Policy Statement on Address Space Allocations

Sean Donelan SEAN at SDG.DRA.COM
Sun Jan 28 03:26:43 UTC 1996

>" The InterNIC allocates addresses to ISPs based on the slow start
>  procedure as detailed in the ISP guidelines.  Please utilize the /19,
>  once you have reassigned the /19 and SWIPped them you may request
>  additional address space and if the InterNIC feels you are assigning
>  them efficiently you may request additional address space."

Because of this policy ISP's should start getting allocations from
the InterNIC as soon as possible.  If you get allocations from another
provider, you don't gain any history with the InterNIC.  All of
that history goes to the provider's allocations, not yours.  When
you outgrow a provider (and the provider's provider), and later
go to the InterNIC, you start over again with 'slow start.'

I made this mistake, and it has cost me dearly over the years.