Policy Statement on Address Space Allocations

Paul A Vixie paul at vix.com
Sat Jan 27 18:35:50 UTC 1996

If we believe that we're going to get 1024 multihomable address blocks per /8,
then there will not be enough of these for all the providers who can multihome
in this NAPatudinous market.

IPv4 is going to _force_ us to a multitiered routing system.  Everybody, please
stop trying to figure out how to make a singly tiered system work out of fear
that you will be trapped in a relationship with a bad upstream.

Instead, start trying to figure out how to build neutral, lasting upstreams.
PCH and CIX are examples, though neither is quite right for various reasons.