value of co-location

Shikhar Bajaj bajaj at faline.bellcore.com
Fri Jan 19 22:21:07 UTC 1996

> > What's the average packet size now?  I think the overhead on DS-3 ATM/SMDS
> > is worse than on OC-3, if I recall correctly, because the DS-3 PLCP is so
> > wasteful as well.  Someone should redo these calculations more accurately.
>
> With PLCP, maximum bit rate available for ATM cells =
>
> 53 cells * 12 rows * 8bits / 125us = 40.704 mpbs.
>
> So, 40.704 * 48/53 = 36.864 mpbs = data rate.
>
> Now if you use AAL5, then it's another 2 bytes for SAR, and 2 bytes for
> CS, so, 40.704 * (48-4)/53 = 33.792 mpbs.

You are correct up til you get to the efficiency at the AAL level.  AAL-5 does
not have any SAR overhead but it does have 8 bytes of CS overhead.  Now, this
overhead is on a per PDU basis and NOT a per cell basis.  Thus, you maximum
efficiency will be

36.864 * [(x-8) / x] where x = PDU size in bytes.

Thus, if you just send 64-byte packets, your min throughput will
be 36.8 * (56 / 64) = 32.3 Mbps.

Of course, larger PDUs are more efficient.

Shikhar