Question on % of good routes and plea for an RA mail list was Re: Routing registry was Re: Sprint BGP filters in 207.x.x.x?

Hans-Werner Braun hwb at upeksa.sdsc.edu
Wed Jan 3 23:21:50 UTC 1996

It even predates the T1/... NSFNET backbone. We already used something
like that for the 56kbps Fuzzball based NSFNET backbone. In a sense,
the RIPE db etc. are latecomers here. Susan is correct, the NSFNET
implemented and formalized the routing data base in evolutionary
stages. Often despite complaints from many sites that wanted free and
uncontrolled flow of routing information.

I am not arguing about whether the RIPE and the RA DB should or should
not be merged, just that there is a history to the steps taken, and
reconciling into a homogenious DB (format) would have to be a concious
effort by the parties seeing mutual benefit. Not that it should not
happen otherwise, it just won't, given project priorities.