[NIC-960209.1757] Routing Problem (fwd)

Scott Mace smace at crash.ops.neosoft.com
Tue Feb 20 22:40:09 UTC 1996

> > > Creating a consortium [akin to the NAP model] of small ISP's could
> > > easily resolve this problem, if all address space allocated to each
> > > ISP was contiguous and could be aggregated to a larger prefix.
> >
> > But, this would require working with your direct competition in your
> > local geographic area.
> >
> > Ain't gonna happen.
> >
> > No way, No How.
>
> Why not?  We already have competing TV stations sharing an antenna site, and
> competing newspapers sharing a printing press and distribution mechanism.
> I don't see why ISPs couldn't do something similar where it's in everybody's
> interest.

Newspapers and TV stations are content providers, only a few ISPs are content
providers.  ISPs are more "packet movers" than anything else, so it comes down
to who can move packets the best, not who has more appealing packets.  And this
boils down to technical competance.  I can only see "Internet Content" providers
banding together.

	Scott
--
smace at neosoft.com - KC5NUA - Scott Mace - Network Engineer - Neosoft Inc.