Renumbering and the Feb 15-16 NANOG meeting

Matt Zimmerman mdz at netrail.net
Tue Feb 20 19:27:46 UTC 1996

On Mon, 19 Feb 1996, Craig A. Huegen wrote:

> > If this is that often, perhaps he should be doing his own secondary DNS.
> Even if you do your own secondary DNS, you still should have off-site
> backups 'just in case'.

>From what I gather, the customers involved are downstream from
branch.com, and as such a backup there doesn't seem to be serving much
purpose.  In the two most probable scenarios of unreachability:

1. branch.com has connectivity problems with the world: The "backup" servers
   aren't reachable either.
2. Customer has connectivity problems with branch.com: The hosts to be
   resolved probably aren't reachable anyway.

When it is necessary to maintain a backup nameserver on a network
administered by someone else, and frequent changes are required for
maintenance of said nameserver, a system would be necessary to oversee
such changes.  I don't think that this situation is widespread enough to
justify standardization.  Most of our customers here have one or two
domains, and rarely, if ever, add more (excepting the in-addr hierarchy,
but since we assign them address space anyway, we can't unload that part
of the duty).

// Matt Zimmerman       Chief of System Management           NetRail, Inc.
// mdz at netrail.net                                       sales at netrail.net
// (703) 524-4800 [voice]    (703) 524-4802 [data]    (703) 534-5033 [fax]