Renumbering and the Feb 15-16 NANOG meeting - UPDATE

Craig A. Huegen c-huegen at quad.quadrunner.com
Sun Feb 18 04:23:21 UTC 1996

On Sat, 17 Feb 1996, Craig A. Huegen wrote:

> While contemplating this, I realized that every speaker who said
> something along these lines really hasn't done massive renumbering
> to fulfill CIDR plans--they either have this HUGE block (i.e., major

Errr, *bonk*.  Stupid me.  What I meant to say is that I expect (from the
various speakers' positions) that these people haven't faced large
renumbering lately.

I didn't mean to accuse the others of not knowing about renumbering--it
is much harder than anyone at the NANOG meeting made it sound.  Yakov
said during his talk that the cost of the route announcements should be
more than the cost to renumber into a provider's block; unfortunately,
this cost would be HUGE if you consider an average "medium-sized"
provider and the hours required to renumber 8 /24's or so.

I also meant to applaud the PIER WG's work to help others do
renumbering--and recommend that all providers make this available on their
web hierarchy (hopefully somewhere EASY to find).  Any other information
the providers can serve to help out is great, too.

/cah