Policy Statement on Address Space Allocations

mike mn at tremere.ios.com
Thu Feb 15 03:51:09 UTC 1996

On Wed, 14 Feb 1996, Edward Henigin wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Feb 1996, Bill Manning wrote:
> > 	There may be other incentives
> > 	applied to facilitate the return, but strong-arm tactics
> > 	and coersion, threats and hostile actions are not my favorites.
> > 	I'd prefer to take almost any other action than blacklisting and
> > 	hijacking.  To take such actions,  while it can be rationalized
> > 	as a technological means to protect a networks internal
> > 	stability, is presumptious and rude at best and legally
> > 	indefensable at worst.
>
> 	so what you're saying is, if a Government (agency) were to take such
> action, it could work..???
>
> 	but then again, we don't *want* government involved...

well, then there are a couple of simple rules to be observed

1) dont piss off the international community and declare Internet to US
owned (like the guy who posted 'he is sick of his country to provide
support for others who don't deserve it'.
2) work for seamless interoperability, and this means cast out people or
corporations who do noe
3) don't implement anything that causes friction , is not backwards
compatible, or deprives communities (which can be nations, networks,
religious aggregations or sex maniacs) from expressing themselves
*between themselves* (watch the stars!).

Be conservative in what you receive, leading edge in what you provide

Simple, no?

Mike

(this .sig is really only for id, not for anything else!)

> 	where's daddy when you need him ?  Love/hate relationship to
> say the least.

                                                   IDT
Michael F. Nittmann                             ---------
Senior Network Architect                        \       /
(201) 928 4456                                   -------
(201) 928 1888 FAX                                \   /
mn at tremere.ios.com                                 ---
                                                   IOS