[NIC-960209.1757] Routing Problem (fwd)

Nathan Stratton nathan at netrail.net
Fri Feb 16 14:47:58 UTC 1996

On Thu, 15 Feb 1996, Michael Dillon wrote:

> Wrong. It already is happening in some regions. You won't see any direct
> competition in the Internet business for at least two more years unless
> you see monsters under your bed and the CIA are listening in on your
> brain.
>
> The Internet market is miniscule. It is growing fast. It will continue to
> grow fast. No one company can hope to grow fast enough to dominate in any
> particular city. That's why you don't have to work with your local
> competition, you just have to work with your other local ISP's in
> building your local Internet infrastructure and growing your local
> Internet market..

Yes, so why not take you address space from you upstreem provider and
yes, when you need to change it. We started with 1 /24 then, /23 then
/19, all from Sprintlink. We then added a MCI connection and the Internic
gave us a /18, then we got connected to a NAP, the NIC gave us one more
/18. Yes, we had to renumber off the /24, /23, and are still working on
the /19.

The point is that the NIC has no idea how long you will be in business,
or if you need the space at all. I am provding access to right now 10
ISP, that will be gone in a year, and have watch that many die so far.

Nathan Stratton		  CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Your Gateway to the World!
Phone   (703)524-4800			       NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite 5
Email   sales at netrail.net                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest