looking for suggestions on a PD work ticketing system to give to ISPs

Jeremy Porter jerry at fc.net
Wed Feb 7 09:17:07 UTC 1996

The request was to reply to you directly, but I'm CCing the
list, because it would be hard to find a better forum for this
question.  (Anything but IP address allocation polcies...)

I'll testify to the need, but will tell you, that I don't believe
such as beast exists.  A couple of ticketing systems exists
and have been mentioned.  The ones I've looked at including
gnats and others, were nearly useless for my company as an ISP,
much less as a more general solution for ISPs in general.

Unfortunately a number of the key issues, with respect
to a Internet wide trouble management system, are unsolved,
except in limited fashions withs respect to academic work or
in restricted enviroments, i.e. corporate.

The software we use in house is not ready for public consumption
Some of our general requirements that are going into our system
are:
	Open Standards:  Should not require any specific database system.
	Integrate into existing work environment:
		provide email and WWW interface into system.
	Provide several different levels of authentication for
		creation, assignmnet, updatings, and closing of issues.

The issues we are looking at, but not requiring for or system
include:
	provide for ticket creation by other NOCs
	automation tools for diagnostics

For some of us at least, it would be really handy to have
detailed and specific trouble information passed in a common
format, such that both NOCs don't have to duplicate the effort.

I would be very interested in discussing any existing or proposed
systems either in email or at NANOG.

Jeremy Porter, Freeside Communications, Inc.      jerry at fc.net
PO BOX 80315 Austin, Tx 78708  |  1-800-968-8750  |  512-339-6094
http://www.fc.net