Film at 11:00

John W. Stewart III jstewart at metro.isi.edu
Tue Dec 31 21:49:17 UTC 1996

not to make this too cisco specific, but...

the number of entries in the forwarding cache on the
sse is generally more than the number of routes in
the bgp rib (because of the way the cache handles
more-specifics of over-lapping aggregates).  so in
addition to the raw number of routes in the rib, the
efficiency (and scope) of aggregation are also
important data points

now a question.  what does an sse do when its cache
fills?  it used to(*) bring down the whole sse, which
doesn't really make much sense given that it's a
cache and therefore it's normal operation for it to
be incomplete.  anyone know an answer to that one?

/jws

(*) -- "used to" implies that it happened before,
which it did.  but that was largely due to the
ineffeciency of the data structures, and the problem
was solved such that 2 years (and counting) was added
to its life