NAP/ISP Saturation WAS: Re: Exchanges that matter...

David Schwartz davids at wiznet.net
Fri Dec 20 23:11:58 UTC 1996

	Your counter suggestion does not address the issues my suggestion
was intended to address. The primary issues I'm trying to address is:

	1) Tracking of packets with spoofed IP address should, ideally,
be automated.

	2) Tracking of packets that are or may be part of DoS attacks
should not be based upon origin IP because that can easily be forged.

	3) Tracking of malicious packets should easily cross
administrative boundaries.

	If you think I'm suggesting that implementing a plan like I
suggested is trivial or doesn't have serious privacy and/or security
implications, rest assured, I know.

	If you build a new protocol with new loopholes, people will work
around the loopholes and we'll be back where we started. I'd ideally
prefer a very solid method of tracking where packets come from. Tracing
the origin of packets you will receive anyway shouldn't have privacy
implications -- you're not supposed to be forgin origin IPs anway.

	David Schwartz