NAP/ISP Saturation WAS: Re: Exchanges that matter...

Tony Li tli at jnx.com
Fri Dec 20 21:34:08 UTC 1996

   Tunneling. Acess list filtering. Finer grain accounting (I'd love to see
   usage stats for each interface over a day or so right from the router).

Both of these are switching functions.

   Encryption.

This really should be specialized hardware.

   Recomputing larger route tables, especially OSPF.

This is interesting.  I would be interested to know what a system with
adequate switching and sufficient division between switching and forwarding
will do.  I suspect that the CPU is big enough if the switching problem is
solved.

   And most important to me, not becoming unusuable during a major routing
   change.

Ditto.

Tony