NAP/ISP Saturation WAS: Re: Exchanges that matter...

David Schwartz davids at wiznet.net
Fri Dec 20 20:39:09 UTC 1996

On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Tony Li wrote:

> You should be more specific about _why_ you want a MUCH bigger CPU.  IMHO,
> the box needs more packet switching capacity (and more backplane
> bandwidth), but there's enough CPU there for the OS.

	Recomputing larger route tables, especially OSPF. Tunneling.
Encryption. Acess list filtering. Finer grain accounting (I'd love to see
usage stats for each interface over a day or so right from the router).
And most important to me, not becoming unusuable during a major routing
change.

	How many of us have seen a 7513 take 20 seconds to log into and
then 15 seconds to respond to a command during a circuit outage that
forced a major route recomputation? This is when we most need to see
which BGP sessions, OSPF sessions, and interfaces are still up and maybe
even do a 'show logging'.

	David Schwartz