NAP/ISP Saturation WAS: Re: Exchanges that matter...

Jim Van Baalen vansax at atmnet.net
Fri Dec 20 18:50:29 UTC 1996

> The GIGAswitch has theoretical difficulties.  Head of line blocking and so
> on.  But the exchanges that use GIGAswitches aren't having measurable
> problems which are traceable to the GIGAswitches.  The "O" in NANOG is for
> "operations" and in the field of operations, anything that works gets used.

Is it the concensus of this group that the "GIGAswitches aren't having
measurable problems"? I have recently received messages from the "Operators"
at MAE-West that don't seem to support this position.

> There is a conclusion to be drawn from this regarding ATM.

I run an IP/ATM network with which I am happy. Most NSPs either use ATM
for transport or are rumored to be moving in that direction.

Jim