The Cidr Report

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Mon Dec 2 01:44:00 UTC 1996

> There is no "absolute" point at which to take these measurements. Any
> point will be coloured (colored) by its relative Internet location with
> respect to amounts of local detail and aggregated distant detail.

Yes.  Dave Meyer is trying to overcome this with his new route viewer
(route-views.uoregon.edu), analogous to Pushpendra's.  He is getting
multi-hop BGP from Europe (thanks RIPE), Japan (thanks IIJ), and MAE-West
(no, LA would probably not be an interesting addition:-) to get widely
disparate and hence interesting views of the infrastructure.

It would be prettier if he could

    ip as-path access-list 142 permit ^NAS_
    route-map peerN-in permit 1
       match as-path 142
       sed-path s/^NAS_//        ! or maybe
       set as-path un-prepend NAS
    neighbor 42.666.7.11 remote-as NAS
    neighbor 42.666.7.11 route-map peerN-in in

to clean the first AS off the path, as it looks tacky.  But I suspect
cisco would fear the impact of such a knob on their support folk.

I do not think this approach would be overly useful for Tony's CIDR
report.  It is not a debugging tool, but an overall trend chart.  The
constant measurement point and relative measure is what I find useful.

randy