Sprint and Multi-Homing

William Allen Simpson wsimpson at greendragon.com
Mon Aug 19 16:40:40 UTC 1996

> From: Sean Doran <smd at chops.icp.net>
> Date: 	17 Aug 1996 17:29:52 -0400
> In order to enforce that contract, we have installed
> inbound prefix filters to ignore all subnets of our PA
> CIDR blocks that are announced by our peers at exchange
> points.

Gack!  So that's what happened to my network last Sunday!

Even though the provider from which we get our service claims to be
multi-homed with Sprint and MCI, when the Sprint link was down, no
traffic was flowing through MCI.

OK.  I'll be recommending that the Sprint contract not be renewed.

And in the $10M RFP that just went out for one of my clients, I'll
specify during my bid technical review in September that any bids that
include SprintLink will not be accepted.  Enough is enough.

WSimpson at UMich.edu
BSimpson at MorningStar.com