Customer AS

Avi Freedman freedman at netaxs.com
Mon Aug 19 17:28:17 UTC 1996

> On Mon, 19 Aug 1996, Jon Zeeff wrote:
>
> > Not only is it reality, it is, from the customers point of view, a good
> > idea.
>
> > There is a solution to the customer who wants to be dual-homed
> > to two providers and not contribute to the "routers can't handle the
> > tables" problem.  Just don't announce your more specifics to your backup
> > provider unless you know your primary is down.  Some type of automated
> > script can do it.
>
> Has any of this been WELL documented somewhere so that when a customer is
> asking about multihoming we can point them to a website where they can
> learn the right way to do multihoming?
>
> Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
> Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
> http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael at memra.com

Some of it is at http://www.netaxs.com/~freedman/multi.html.  I'll see about
making it better and simpler - and will add some simple configs that are
somewhat bit more idiot-proof.

And it has to be clear that if:
a) Your providers will configure their networks to only announce you if
   your line is up (+/- any damping), and
b) You believe that a load-balanced defaul route with 'ip route-cache' on
   will do good data delivery out from your network

That BGP does not need to be involved at all for the multi-homed.

Avi