Customer AS

Vadim Antonov avg at quake.net
Mon Aug 19 19:14:28 UTC 1996

In my (rather extensive) practice, multihoming by itself is
usually a major source of connectivity problems.

Whoever arguing _for_ mulihoming for everyone forgets that
taking more routing information in has dangers not present
when you don't do routing yourself.

I never saw any customer who had the ability to configure a
multihomed site properly on their own; and most of the bogus
routing information comes from multihomed customer sites.

It is _much_ better to multihome to the same provider who then
can take care of messy global routing.

--vadim

PS  A UPS for CPE usually fixes 95% of transmission problems.
    I've seen people willing to spend money on multihoming but doing
    things on commercial power.