aol (fwd)

Alan Hannan alan at gi.net
Fri Aug 9 17:01:02 UTC 1996

  Oh.

       http://www.aol.com/about/updates/1996/960808.html

  Bummer.  I wonder what kind of routers and switches they were... :(

  -alan

] From alan Thu Aug  8 23:06:54 1996
] Subject: aol
] To: nanog at merit.edu
] Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 23:06:54 -0500 (CDT)
]
]
]   Howdy,
]
]   I was waiting for someone to bring this up, but it didn't happen.
]
]   The "19 hour" outage of AOL was attributed to a new network
]   operating system update, by at least one media story I read.  I'm
]   curious is there're any interesting lessons from this for the rest
]   of us?  Was it a goof like putting BGP into OSPF?  Was it bad
]   code?  Was it just goofy?
]
]   -alan
]
]   ps who is dissapointed he's not plugged in enough to just "know"
]
]