audio/video again

Larry J. Plato ljp at ans.net
Thu Aug 8 04:57:25 UTC 1996

> > I think this sounds fine, but I don't think you need an RFC to dictate
> > it. This would be a competitive advantage for an application, methinks.
>
> This comment got me wondering, and I don't like where I wound up ...
>
> Would it be a competitive advantage?  As far as responsible users go,
> it probably would.
>
> That brings up irresponsible users - users who don't care about their
> impact, and even worse hacker-type users who would deliberately bring
> down the net if they could ... how long before someone figures out how
> to make a server direct a Real Audio stream (or whatever) at someone
> else?  The leverage for hackers could be enormous.
>
> --
> Dick St.Peters,       Gatekeeper, Pearly Gateway, Ballston Spa, NY

I pretty much agree with you,

My first thought was this would be a disadvantage, since most
users have no clue about the working of the net, but they know
that application <bandwidth hog>  'runs faster' than application
<net friendly>.

It's the old grazing on the commons thing,

Larry Plato
Speaking for myself